Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Paul J Thompson wrote:

> Short and simply, I second this suggestion.  Anyone else agree?
>
> > I have been talking to an upstream maintainer and the question of how Debian
> > is distributed came up. I downloaded the "debian-cd" package but I am a bit
> > confused as to what is put on the CD - it seems to build a binary CD and
> > optionally a source CD. However it seems to include all three trees as
> > neither contrib or non-free seemed to be excluded.
> >
> > In the process I came to the conclusion that "non-free" is a misleading term
> > - maybe it should be renamed "non-dfsg". A fair number of packages in there
> > are free, just not as "free" as we would like them to be. I'll probably
> > get flamed by lots of GPL people, but I don't have a problem with someone
> > who wants to protect their hard work.

The non-free section also includes a large number of programs that contain
restrictions on how they may be distributed, or what you can charge to
distribute them, or what you can distribute them with.  Admittedly some of
them can be distributed on CD, but some can't and which ones can't depend
on what you plan to charge for the CD.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/