Re: apache & Summary of Package Overlaps

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> I don't know if your script includes non-us Richard but it appears
> that it does not. apache-ssl and apache overlap hideously;
> they both provide EVERYTHING, like all of the cgi-bin, etc.
> apache-ssl even suggests /var/www for its pages.
>
> Possible solutions; first is to have apache-ssl depend on apache,
> and not provide the common stuff. Unfortunately this means you could
> not use a simpler main server like boa or ncsa with apache-ssl for
> secure stuff. Another alternative might be to have an apache-extras
> or similar package which provides all the standard cgi-bin,
> and for both apache and apache-ssl to require it.
>
> I am relunctant to file a bug report against apache-ssl since this
> is just my personal preference. I also find that both of these
> have very strange postinsts, which seem to involve prompting me
> to copy a whole lot of cgi scripts to /usr/lib/cgi-bin, when
> they could have just been installed there originally. I haven't
> seen any other packages prompt me whether they should install
> their files or not!

I've filed the bug about the overlap already (several days ago in fact).
I don't see what copying files to /usr/lib/cgi-bin you're talking about.
Unless you're upgrading from a very old apache, in which it's relocating
files that used to be placed elsewhere (/usr/lib/httpd/cgi-bin).  In
theory, you should be able to configure apache-ssl to answer both ports 80
and 443 at the same time, and not need the regular apache at all.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/