Re: CC's of mailing list mail

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Tyson Richard DOWD <trd@cs.mu.oz.au> writes:
> > I would vastly prefer having the Reply-To set correctly. I was amazed
> > when I read the policy because I knew these lists didn't set their
> > Reply-To, which seemed to be a very simply way of helping enforce
> > the policy.
> >
> > (And just to push the point home, this is the second time I've sent
> > this mail because I forgot to "group-reply" the first time. Murphy's Law
> > no doubt).
> The reply-to *IS* set correctly (i.e., it's not set).  Please see
> http://www.unicom.com/FAQ/reply-to-harmful.html for more details.

I just did. The arguments don't really apply to this case, in fact,
some of them are misguided:
	- He argues that you can just do a "group-reply". This has
	  the unwanted (that is, it's against our policies) effect that
	  it sends CCs to all sorts of people. Most of the article
	  argues along these lines.
	- He argues that the feature people want most in elm is
	  "reply to the person, ignore the Reply-To", and claims
	  this is evidence of people not liking Reply-To: set. It could
	  equally be taken as evidence that people like Reply-To: set
	  in general, but would like to occasionally override it and
	  reply to the individual person. In themselves, the feature
	  requests are neutral.
	- The arguments of least harm are reasonable, but doing
	  a "group-reply" is also potentially dangerous. Imagine
	  cross-posts between debian-devel, debian-user and
	  debian-private. You read it in debian-private and then
	  group reply, not realizing it's a cross-post, accidently
	  revealing some sensitive information in your reply.

If it wasn't against our policies for CCs, it wouldn't be a problem.

I usually advocate the use of Reply-To:, particularly in technical mailing
lists, because chatter not meant for the list can be easily skipped,
whereas technical discussions that never made it on to the list are
easily lost.

       Tyson Dowd           #
                            # Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet
     trd@cs.mu.oz.au        # me videre?
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~trd #