Re: "etext" section? Re: Packaging a *LARGE* dictionary

Vincent Renardias wrote:
> 	3?! We have people speaking English, Spanish, French, German,
> Swedish, Finnish, Hebrew, Japanese, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, etc...
> (I'm sure I forgot at least 5 ;). => 11 * 30 = 330 MB.

In the short term, the real question is what languages have free dictionaries.

> >  What about another section, say, caled dict? everything in it
> >  can be extra.
>
> The section "etext" has been suggested a while ago for this kind of
> documents. (The definition was "Any textual document that is not a
> technical documentation", so bibles, dictionaries, texts from the
> Gutemberg project fall in this category).

Since there are already groups that are working on etexts, and they
aren't programs, it doesn't seem like something we should be putting
our effort into. A dictionary, on the other hand, is a tool that is
used while working on the computer (at least for some of us ;).
Also, they are databases and will only be interfaced using a program.
>From that point of view, including dictionaries in Debian is perfectly
reasonable.

It is probably a good idea to wait until DVDs become common before
including them on the Official CD though.

- Jay