Re: `dump' command - tape size

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Oliver Elphick wrote:

: I am trying to use dump to write to DAT tape (60m long); I believe the
: capacity of this is something around 2Gb.
:
: dump seems to believe that the capacity is something like 45Mb and, contrary
: to what the manual says, does not keep on writing to the end of the tape, but
: asks for a new volume after only 45Mb.
[ snip ]

The latest issue of Sys Admin (is that available in the UK??) had an
article about "dump" ... in it, the author stated that Linux dump is
buggy but can be made to work with the right options ...

I don't have the article in front of me (I'm at work), but if you send
me email I'll look up the article and send you the relevant bits, if you
can't find the periodical.

FWIW, I don't use dump on any Linux box (yet) ... my tape drives are on
BSDI boxes that I'm fighting hard to get rid of.

: --
: Oliver Elphick                                Oliver.Elphick@lfix.co.uk
: Isle of Wight                                  http://lfix.co.uk/oliver
:
: PGP key from public servers; key ID 32B8FAA1

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104