Re: Packaging a *LARGE* dictionary

   I should have included a reference in my description earlier for wordNet:
 the main page is at http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/ .

   As Mark said, "wordNet" is not just a dbase, it includes
a user interface, for both terminal and X; about 10 man pages; user docs, and
more. Clearly, the only issue is the size of the package and little else. The
database is about 25M bytes, which could extend to 30M
bytes if the "senses" database is added; however, as far as I know, the
software interface does not utilize the "senses" dbase in any way, thus,
at least for now, it will not be included. In comparison, the dictionary
distributed by the Gutenberg project is only one 40M-byte ascii file with
100,000 words, and nothing more.

   And no! "wordNet" will not be very useful for non-English
 speakers, for the explanations of word meanings are terse (like a
 thesaurus); though, if the user studies the .ps docs, and I mean study,
 only then will the benefits will be greater.

On Thu, Oct 30, 1997 at 12:20:16AM +0100, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 ioannis@flinet.com wrote:
>
> >     Let me affirm, assert, declare, express, submit, and convey my plan
> >  to package "WordNet" for main.  WordNet is a twenty-five-megabyte
> >  modern lexical reference system with 100,000 interrelated word sets --
> >  approximately, resembling more a thesaurus than a dictionary, though
> >  Princeton University insists on the opposite, in that, it is a
> >  dictionary, not a thesaurus.
>
> If it contains usefull scripts/apps to browse/search the dictionary, I
> agree it's a good tool (mostly for non native english speakers ;).
>
> However, if it's just a *LARGE* file without any other facilities, I see
> no reason to package it.  (Following, this reasoning the Debian
> distribution would soon become a superset of the Gutemberg project;)
>
> --
> -  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -
> -  Debian/GNU Linux       +-------------------+      http://www.waw.com/  -
> -  http://www.debian.org/           |            WAW  (33) 4 91 81 21 45  -