Re: qmail-src (was RFC: New source packaging format)

>  >> Please apply the DENYMAIL patch,
>  >Initially, I won't be doing that, since I think that Dan is much more
>  > likely to approve an un-tweaked binary package.
> He will never approve a binary package anyway because we use dot locking.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'll be using procmail to provide dotlocking.

>  >I will do the denymail patch as either an option in the postinstall, or
>  >as a package qmail-src-denymail that depends on qmail-src.
> I think you should put most important patches and then ask the admin about
> what should be compiled in. You should also provide a way to installa the
> binaries on the local machine without generating the .deb package.

I tend to agree with this, but thought that having sub-packages with the
patches might make it easier to add new patches without having to constantly
re-release qmail-src --- I'll see how easy each approach is.

>  >> and /var/qmail/{alias,control,users} as /etc/qmail/...
>  >The way it's set up at present /var/qmail/control is renamed to /etc/qmail,
>  >and /var/qmail/{alias,users} are left where they are.
> The way it's set up at present is wrong, alias and users contains both
> configuration files.
>
>  >What about alias? This is a non-login user's home directory, so where
>  >should it go ?
>
> This is a directory full of configuration files!

Except that it tends to get mailing lists in it as well if you use ezmlm,
which do not really fit under /etc.  Putting it under /home might help to
remind people that qmail treats it almost exactly like any other user.

I would be unhappy with ~alias being /etc/qmail/alias and then getting the
archives of all my mailing lists ending up on my root partition --- what do
others think ?

>  >Whatever happens, I'll create symbolic links in /var/qmail to make it look
>  >like a normal qmail setup, so as not to confuse existing qmail users.
> This is good.

Oh, I thought a consensus was forming against this idea.  Given that opinion
is split I'll do what I think (which is that /var/qmail should exist in some
form so as not to confuse non-debian qmail users), and then people can submit
bug reports if they are really upset about it.

Cheers, Phil.