	Bruce

From: gregh@cc.gatech.edu (Greg Hankins)
Bruce, this doesn't sound like something I can fix...?

Greg

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 14:22:13 +0300 (MSK)
To: ftpmaster@cc.gatech.edu
From: Konstantin Kivi <konst@sirena.rinet.ru>

Hi !

This is a message for those who is responsible
for keeping Debian ftp-able distribution at ftp.debian.org

I have found that it's impossible to fetch Packages.gz
using dselect. I tried /debian, debian, /debian/bo, bo, /bo
/as121/linux/distributions/debian/bo. The best result
was a warning (about symbolics links )
during access phase

Cd to /debian/bo...
Checking stable/binary-i386...
Warning: Couldn't find a Packages file in stable/binary-i386
This may not be a problem if the directory is a symbolic link
Checking non-free/binary-i386...
Warning: Couldn't find a Packages file in non-free/binary-i386
This may not be a problem if the directory is a symbolic link
Checking contrib/binary-i386...
Warning: Couldn't find a Packages file in contrib/binary-i386
This may not be a problem if the directory is a symbolic link
Closing ftp connection...

and an error during Update stating
Cd to /debian/bo...
Getting Packages file from stable/binary-i386...
Couldn't find Packages[.gz] in stable/binary-i386, stoppedFTP ERROR

update available list script returned error exit status 1.
Press RETURN to continue.

I've also tried ftp.funet.fi with the same result.

I think there is a problem that can prevent many
people from upgrading and thus make Debian less popular

my config is debian 1.2.4 partially upgraded to 1.3
This is version of the involved packages
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
hi  dpkg-ftp        1.4.8          Ftp method for dselect.
hi  dpkg            1.4.0.8        Package maintenance system for Debian Linux

Sincerely yours, Konstantin Kivi.

Please answer me to konst@sirena.rinet.ru

--
Greg Hankins (greg.hankins@cc.gatech.edu)     | Georgia Institute of Technology
Computing and Networking Services             | College of Computing, room 213

--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html