Re: xaw3d, and rosegarden namespaces

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 01:11:52 EST Will Lowe (harpo@udel.edu) wrote:

> I'm working on hte package of Rosegarden,  a musical sequencer and editor.
>
> 1) I like xaw3d - it gives a nifty look to the rather drab athena widgets.
> I've got it installed.  So when I compile rosegarden,  it's gonna get
> linked against xaw3dg,  thus requiring the package.  Is this bad?  Should
> I remove xaw3d to compile rosegarden?

It's not needed.
If you link with -lXaw, everything will go fine. To link with xaw3d
or nextaw, you specifically have to link with it (with -lXaw3d for
example).
It's just at run time that Xaw3d or nextaw are found by the dynamic
linker because the /usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d contains a libXaw.so link to
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw3d.so and the /usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d path is
listed before the /usr/X11R6/lib path in /etc/ld.so.conf. Ouch.

> 2) The rosegarden package contains three binaries - the music editor
> ("editor"),  the sequencer ("sequencer"),  and a topbox which calls the
> other two ("rosegarden").  The install default is to put "rosegarden"
> in rootdir/bin (this'd be /usr/X11R6/bin) and "editor" and "sequencer"  in
> rootdir/lib (/usr/X11R6/lib),  which seems like a bad namespace pollution
> to me -- there are lots of "editors" (musical and text) and lots of
> "sequencers" available.  Should I:
> 	A) make a /usr/X11R6/lib/rosegarden directory and put the editor
> and sequencer there
> 	B) rename them to "rosegarden-editor" and "rosegarden-sequencer"
> and put them in /usr/X11R6/bin

I don't think there is any explicit policy on this one (except that you shouldn't clutter the namespace). I'd prefer B if a user might want to run sequencer or editor by hand. Otherwise, I'd use A (which is probably easier to do).

Phil.