Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:38:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Xmcd Admin <xmcd@bazooka.amb.org>
To: Matt Thompson <mattyt@oz.net>
Subject: Re: XMCD

Matt Thompson writes:
> I have 64mb edo ram and over 100mb swap.  what happens is that xmcd
> queries the cddb, finds the name of the cd, then as it is querying for the
> names of all the songs, my cpu-load, memory and swap indicators on my
> xsysinfo start going up inexplicably, and the whole system becomes *very*
> sluggish.  eventually, after several minutes, when all the resources are
> used up, xmcd dies.

OK, then this definitely points to something hokey in the realloc()
service.  Did you compile the xmcd binary yourself?  If so, did you
use the libmalloc library or did you use the malloc services in the libc?
(i.e., was there -lmalloc in the final link phase to create the xmcd
binary)?  Also, are you using real OSF/Motif or LessTif?  If the latter,
what version?

-Ti

Ti:

the xmcd i am running was compiled in a package provided by Debian
GNU/Linux.  As you can see, I've forwarded this to one of the lists in the
hope that some of your questions regarding the libraries can get answered.
I can tell you that I am using LessTif v0.81-0.5.

hope this helps,
matty