Multiboot/GRUB (was Re: Problems with printing postscript files)

Erik Andersen <andersee@debian.org> writes:

> Do you happen to be running Linux kernel 2.1.60?  Printing is
> completely hosed in this particular kernel, so if this is the
> problem, you might want to revert to 2.1.59 or 2.0.31.

no, I'm using the standard 2.0.30 coming with Debian.

Btw. Have we integrated the patches for multiboot in our Linux kernel?
These are necessary to get GRUB (GRand Unified Boot loader, available
from ftp://ftp.uruk.org/public/grub/) working.

GRUB is a new boot loader designed for the Hurd and Mach systems, but
it should also work with Linux, *BSD, ... It seems to be more flexible
and much nicer than LILO. So I think that we should give it a try.
Perhaps we get one boot loader for all our architectures.

With the kernel patches GRUB is able to locate the kernel on the
hard disk and to boot it directly. Command line options can also be
modified before the kernel is booted and not only before rebooting the
system.

Bye
  Christian

--