Re: Architecture all

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:
> > Um.. why can't bar be installed by dpkg -i (or even by dselect,
> > using appropriate overrides key sequences)?

James Troup <J.J.Troup@comp.brad.ac.uk> wrote:
> Because bar depends on foo and foo couldn't exist for platform X. (In
> joeyh's example and that's what I was talking about, not quake-lib)

Ok, so it won't be fully configured.  If there is no postinst script,
this isn't a real issue.

> > > [ This hypothetical example assumes an m68k user ]
> > > foo 2.3-5 (Arch: all) depends on svgalib. svgalib will probably
> > > never be compiled for m68k, so this package can never be
> > > installed, but yet it's being offered to the user in dselect.

> > never say never.  In particular, the ggi project would indeed allow
> > svgalib to be compiled for m68k (admittedly, I don't think it will
> > be releasable by the end of this year).

> Blah, I said probably never.  But anyway, I don't think this is
> justification for allowing uninstallable packages to be presented to
> the end-user.

How about if such packages were only offered by dselect if the user hit
some key (along the lines of: toggle showing me packages which can't be
properly installed from the current set)?

Or are you thinking of this as being only a short term solution, till
dselect/diety are up to the task?

--
Raul