Re: Architecture all

James Troup <J.J.Troup@comp.brad.ac.uk> wrote:
> If bar depends on foo and foo is not available for platform X, bar is
> not relevant to platform X.  (How is bar relevant to platform X if it
> can't be installed?)

If bar is architectural neutral data stored in an architectural
format.  [I believe this thread is rooted in a discussion of
quake-lib.]

> > Why should it matter? Dselect should have a graceful way of dealing
> > with the condition.
>
> With what condition?  Is this just a rant against dselect?  The point
> is that dselect can't, if you allow architecture independent packages
> to depend on architecture specific ones, distinguish packages which
> could never (&|in the foreseeable future) be installed on platform X
> and packages which can't currently (i.e. temporarily) be installed on
> platform X.  I don't care about how dselect deals with unfilled
> dependencies other than that, it isn't what I was talking about.

Er.. if we're not talking about how dselect behaves when the user
selects a package whose dependencies cannot currently be filled,
then what are we talking about?

You seem to be claiming that dselect can't have an acceptable
behavior based on currently available information, and you've
proposed a change in that information to work around this.

No?

--
Raul