Re: unofficial package repository and the bugs system

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> > If/when the unofficial package repository Jim Pick spoke of is established,
> > what will happen in regard to the bugs system for these packages?
>
> This is part of a more general category - third-party packages, commercial
> or otherwise, distributed for use with Debian systems but not by Debian. For
> example, commercial X servers. The distributors of these packages should
> handle their own bugs, and should operate their own bug-reporting system.

	Getting Debian tangled up with an unofficial repository would be a
 nightmare. The reasons are manifold. For instance- Part of the bug
system's function is to insure compliance with rules. This is neccessary
in part so that Debian does not fall apart.  The unofficial repository is
designed to allow people to circumvent some rules.
	Debian needs to be insulated from third party things to protect
its integrity.
	(I've only been here two months, but there you go anyway)

> I seriously disbelieve that there will ever be many packages in Jim's
> archive. We make it so easy to become a maintainer that there is
> little reason not to do so.

  I bet they evolve to fill a niche.

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>