Re: unofficial package repository and the bugs system

I still think we need more discussion on this. I see three main problems

 -  namespace pollution: there *will* be bug reports on recompiled standard
    packages from those sites, and it will be confusing as these carry the
    _same names_ as our 'official' packages. This will fill the bug
    system. Don't we have enough real bugs to fix?

 -  we are spreading ourselves to thinly, Debian 2.0 looks as if it will
    be overdue. This will lead to a mad rush (anyone remembering the 1.2
    release ). Getting a good Debian 2.0 serves _all_ our user including
    those who want 'bleeding-edge brandnew but only from stable'.

 -  are we sure we want to focus on this? I for once would be much happier
    if Jim could devote his endless energy to dwww as that _will_ make
    Debian better, and helps Debian to keep the edge.

Comments?

--
 edd@debian.org   http://rosebud.sps.queensu.ca/~edd   PGP KeyID 1024/6D7F08DD