Re: GNOME

Branden Robinson <branden@apocalypse.sequitur.org> writes:
> > Hmm, what about GNUstep? Wasn't there at some point talk about making
> > it the preferred environment?
> >
> > Is it still alive? Those web pages aren't all that informative, and
> > the discussion list as well as the newsgroups seem to be pretty quiet.
>
> It was my understanding that the display PostScript was/is the real
> stumbling block.  Adobe's PostScript engines are optimized like holy hell, and
> display GhostScript would be too slow, because it's not optimized.
>
> And Adobe's PostScript engines are about as far from free software as you
> can get.

The GNUStep project has hired L. Peter Deutsch (the guy who goes Ghostscript)
to create their Display Postscript clone.  So that is a good sign.  They've
even made some developer releases this month according to their web page.

IMHO, the stuff GNUStep does will be complementary to the Gtk stuff, and
lots of other things.  It seems like everybody is writing bindings from
everything to everything else.  So people will be able to program in
Guile, Perl, Tcl/Tk, C, Java, C++, Objective C, or whatever -- and be
able to write to whatever they want.  There's even things like ILU which
will help bridge the gaps.

I like the way things are "evolving" -- but it will take some time.  I've
been playing with things such as KDE, enlightenment, gnome and some other
things -- and things are really looking good.  When I switch back to
Windows 95/IE 4 and it blows up, I just have to laugh.  All the good
(and fast) free environments for newbies are going to burst on the scene
at once -- and Microsoft is not going to know what hit 'em.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim