Re: GNOME

On 21 Oct 1997, Juri P Pakaste wrote:

> bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:
>
> > Are we packaging GNOME and the various components needed to run it?
> > If not, I think we need to do so. In fact, I think we should seriously
> > consider declaring it Debian's preferred graphical environment.
> >
> > Please check out http://www.gnome.org/ .
>
> Hmm, what about GNUstep? Wasn't there at some point talk about making
> it the preferred environment?
>
> Is it still alive? Those web pages aren't all that informative, and
> the discussion list as well as the newsgroups seem to be pretty quiet.

It was my understanding that the display PostScript was/is the real
stumbling block.  Adobe's PostScript engines are optimized like holy hell, and
display GhostScript would be too slow, because it's not optimized.

And Adobe's PostScript engines are about as far from free software as you
can get.

This is the opinion I got from a veteran NeXTStep developer, at any rate.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 | "There is no gravity in space."
Purdue University                   | "Then how could astronauts walk around