Re: Future of Unix - comments please

bates@stat.wisc.edu (Douglas Bates)  wrote on 17.10.97 in <[🔎] 6ru3egdwqz.fsf@franz.stat.wisc.edu>:

>  PowerPC - Apple is on the ropes and both IBM and Motorola are having
>          serious doubts about PowerPC.

Last I heard, Apple was selling more RISC computers (with PowerPC,
obviously, though there are also the ARMs in the Newtons) than everybody
else. Besides, even at their worst point, Apple still had loads of cash
around. I seriously doubt those guys are in danger of going under - at
least until every other RISC vendor is already dead.

Apple's relation to Unix is interesting. For a long time, they sold their
own (A/UX), then for a while they sold AIX, then there was MkLinux (Linux
on Mach), and now that they've bought Next, they have a Mach/BSD variant.
While they seem to change their minds often as to flavour, they don't seem
to want to part from Unix - in fact, their last variant is eventually
targetted to be their desktop solution, too ("Unix *can* be user
friendly!"). If they can pull that off (and I don't see why not), this
could be good for Linux, too.

MfG Kai