Re: New ip-up (Was: Re: REQ ip-up: run-parts /etc/ppp/up ) (fwd)

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.971017125840.557A-100000@citytelprct76.citytel.net>,
	Manong Dibos <jwalther@citytel.net> writes:

> #!/bin/sh
> # /etc/ppp/ip-down                 jwalther@citytel.net    Oct 17,1997
> #
> # This makes sure when you disconnect your hostname is set to localhost
>
> hostname localhost

Why?

Much nicer to leave your hostname set to your real internet hostname, but
install a dummy device pointing to it. You don't even have to remove the
dummy device when you dial up.

For example, during the holidays (in term time I have an ethernet connection
at university) my /etc/init.d/network script contains

	# Dummy device
	/sbin/ifconfig dummy0 194.222.242.160
	/sbin/route add 194.222.242.160

That IP address is listed in /etc/hosts as mapping to my dialup hostname,
aziraphale.demon.co.uk.
.