Re: What about a user-contrib directory?

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, David Welton wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > But _all_ of our software is user-contributed!
>
> Yes, but the process is a bit more than just making a deb and
> uploading it.

Can you ellaborate a little bit on that, please?

> In some ways, it seems to be a more scalable model.  If we immagine a
> future with not 1000, 10000, but say 100000 cool unix packages floating
> around.  Obviously there will still be the core of important things, that
> the main developers will want to handle, but without the number of
> developers growing proportionately, we can't keep up.

No problem, any user competent enough to build a package and upload it
to the proposed "user-contributed" section can become a Debian developer
instead.

> And having a huge number of developers seems a bit unweildy.

What do you mean by unwieldy?

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna