Re: What about a user-contrib directory? [was: Re: uploads for bo (was Re: Non-free libc5 packages??)]

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> But _all_ of our software is user-contributed!

Yes, but the process is a bit more than just making a deb and
uploading it.

I think this is in general a positive thing, especialy for security
reasons, but on the other hand, I see advantages to how redhat seems to be
doing things - having a contrib directory that anyone can place things in
without becoming 'official' (out of curiosity, anyone know if rpm's just
get put there automatically, or if they undergo any kind of scrutiny?).

In some ways, it seems to be a more scalable model.  If we immagine a
future with not 1000, 10000, but say 100000 cool unix packages floating
around.  Obviously there will still be the core of important things, that
the main developers will want to handle, but without the number of
developers growing proportionately, we can't keep up.  And having a huge
number of developers seems a bit unweildy.

On the other hand, I think we are a bit more secure, and less vulnerable
to some sort of trojan-horse attack, or at least have the means to track
down bad apples.  And we are, I would immagine, a bit more tightly knit,
as a whole.

I don't know.. excuse me for thinking 'out loud' so to speak.  I'd like to
hear others opinions, maybe those who have thought about it more than I
can more clearly defend one or the other ways of doing things.

Thanks:-)

#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj