Re: please look at this copyright

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> the software is bundled with gif software, so it would be non-free.
> please check this copyright.
>

>                 MIME++ Software License Agreement
>
> THIS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT (the "Agreement") is a legal agreement
> between you (either an individual or an entity, hereafter referred to
> as "Licensee") and Douglas W. Sauder ("Licensor").  By downloading
> and/or using the information contained herein, you are agreeing to be
> bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement.  If you do not
> agree with the terms of this Agreement, you must immediately delete the
> software information.
[snip]

Please note that I'm not a lawyer so I can be totally wrong.

First, the license is actually very complicated (at least for me :-). It's
definitely not DFSG compliant (you may not use it for commercial programs
unless you pay for it).

Second, it doesn't tell anything about "distribution" (or did I miss
something?). Thus, we can't distribute it at all.

Perhaps you should contact the author(s) and check out if we are allowed
to distribute this via our ftp server and its mirrors. This way, it can go
into "non-free".

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/