Re: Upgrading the kernel without rebooting?

Yann Dirson wrote:

> However, I've read several times that it was good practice to reboot a
> UN*X system every several monthes, to help it stay in good health...
>
> I never saw any precise arguments for this, though, and it looks like
> the joke about the computer scientist saying about a car having a
> breakdown no mechanist could diagnose ``Just step out the car, close
> the doors, reopen them, step in: now, it should start''.
>
> In clear, probably we should
>
> 1. list all types of problems that caused people saying ``reboot every
>    X monthes'';
> 2. make sure a Linux system *can* ignore this advice (ie. run a
>    year or so without a need to reboot);

I've personally ran a machine that lasted 412 days without a reboot, and
the only reason it was taken down was because we hade to move it.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
       "It is a damned poor mind indeed that can't think of at