Re: policy on editor/pager support

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On 7 Oct 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
>
> > Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
> >
> > > It is my feeling that this policy was not discussed in an adequate
> > > fashion. The fact that it made it into the policy manual without much
> > > review is troublesome to me. We need a better method for solidifying a
> > > proposed policy than the one we are using at the moment.
> >
> > It was discussed extensively here before Ian proposed the current
> > policy.  Later it was discussed on debian-policy.  We already have a
> > fine system for solidifying proposed policy.  Developers which are
> > interested in crafting policy should subscribe to debian-policy.
> >
> My point is that this situation tends to ignore the effected maintainer
> who has too much to do to get involved in "all" policy decissions.
>
> It has come clear to me that I _must_ subscribe to debian-policy if I can
> ever hope to keep up with the flow of things. This completely defeats the
> primary reason for splitting the lists. I'm not so sure that I "need" to
> be involved in crafting policy. I am pretty sure that I need a better way
> to keep track of the ebb and flow of said policy.

This was the exact reason why I started to document all policy
changes/discussions in the "POLICY WEEKLY" postings. As these postings are
sent to both lists (debian-policy and debian-devel) every Debian developer
can keep track of current policy issues (even before they become
official). If you read something in the POLICY WEEKLY on debian-devel
which you would like to have changed in the last minute, you can just
subscribe to debian-policy and mention your complaints.

I know that the POLICY WEEKLY postings are probably a bit large for
emails. That's why I always create an online version too. It's available
at

http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-policy/weekly/

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/