Re: MaintainerDatabase Copyright

>  Do we
>  produce two different xearth files, one under a GPL-like license, and
>  one under a non-mutable data license?

That would be perfect (IMHO, anyway). Could I ask that the maintainer
of the files PGP-sign them, so that anybody can check the authenticity
of the files? At least the GPL one should be signed, as that one
can be distributed in many different ways, and it would be nice to
always be able to verify if it's the real one.

Note, I really don't care much if the licence for the second file
is going to be GPL, GPL-like, or very-different-from-GPL, but
allowing modificatinos and sale. I just think using GPL would
be the easiest, as it's already written.

> 	We need to determine what the licenses offered would be, and
>  to hammer out a questionnaire.
> 	If you do not like per field privacy levels, object now.

I like them. Put it stronger than that, I think we'll probably need them
anyway, if we intend to later add private information too, like
phone numbers, ID numbers, whatever. I'm sure a lot of people would
strongly (and for I'd say good reason) object to having their phone
number distribted, but I'm also sure those who do Debian Support
would _want_ their phone number, address, and maybe even bank account
number distributed as widely as possible.

Oh, just one technical note:
Rather than having an format like

  Maintainer: joost witteveen
  Maintainer-dist: GPL
  Email: joostje@debian.org
  email-dist: GPL
  phone: +31-715275483
  phone-dist: GPL
  bankaccount: 35789344565478954[1]
  bankaccount-dist: non-mod

one could also do:

  Maintainer (GPL): joost witteveen
  Email (GPL):  joostje@debian.org
  phone (GPL): +31-715275483
  bankaccount (non-mod): 35789344565478954[1]

Thus halving the number of fields (at the expence of making the
fields somewhat longer, but less than twice as long).

This is effectively just a "reformatted" version of the above,
so technically I'd say they are identical. But the second version
doesn't have the "twice the number of fields" problem.

[1] 35789344565478954 isn't realy my bank account. I don't know
    that by hart.
--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj