Re: Timestamp

On 6 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,

> >> distribution as a whole.
>
> Sue> Check the packages section of the web pages. At the bottom of
> Sue> each page is the date it was last modified. This is generally a
> Sue> good indicator of when the package was last updated in the
> Sue> distribution.
>
> 	Ok, then. When was make on your machine updated? (no fair
>  peeking at /usr/doc/make/changelog.gz) How about a package you do not
>  have installed? when was angband updated? (I know the version number,
>  but how old is version 282? what about version 194?)
>
> 	I think that is what he wanted in the Packages file.

I've implementing something like this. It's just a simple Perl script run
by cron/anacron each day. It processes all files mentioned in a
configuration files and checks them into an RCS archive if there were any
changes.

On my systems, I run `dpkg -l > /var/log/system/packages' and `uname -a >
/var/log/system/kernel' and let the program run over the directories
/var/log/system and /etc. This way, all changes to configuration files as
well as changes to the kernel or packages are stored in the RCS archive.

That way, I can check out any changes I made or even recover old
configuration files.

If someone is instrested, please drop me a note and I'll send you the
program via email. If lots of people are intrested, we should probably
make a package out of it. (I'm sorry, but I don't have time for that at
the moment, but if someone wants to take it, go ahead!)

BTW, the program is called "server-changelog", some people already know
it.

Cheers,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz