Re: [DEBIAN] Why does sendmail depend on procmail?

According to Santiago Vila Doncel:
> * Try to  "chown a-rwx" your current personal mail spool file.
> deliver is still able to deliver the mail, but it keeps the bad
> permissions. procmail renames the old one and creates a new one with the
> right permissions. I think procmail behaviour is better in this case,
> because it actually solves the problem.

I'd call that a usability misfeature of procmail.  Deliver puts the
mail where you tell it to.  Nothing more.  OTOH, it is a bug for
Deliver to allow a user to request writing a file that isn't
user-writable, and have it work.  I'll see about fixing that.

> * Try to "chown nobody" your current personal mail spool file.
> In this case deliver rejects the mail (it refuses to deliver it), while
> procmail is able to rename the bad one and create a new one with the right
> ownerships, as before.

Again, procmail is being far too intelligent for its own good.
--
Chip Salzenberg          - a.k.a. -           <chip@pobox.com>
        "He's Mr. Big of 'Big And Tall' fame."  // MST3K