Re: Why do we need a base *section*?

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, [iso-8859-1] Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

> On 3 Oct 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
>
> > >  Why? What's the point in having all those packages together? Why should
> > > someone looking for somthing in the ftpsite care about if the package was
> > > included in the boot floppies? That makes no sense to me...
> > Because he then presumably already has the package installed.
>
>  So?
>
>  Imagine what I am seeing: bash in interpreters, joe in editors, etc. A
> section called `system' with sysvinit et al. What's wrong with that?

This surely would make it easier to guess the location of a package you
want to upgrade manually. If I want to upgrade a package I don't care if
it it on the base disks or not. I just want to find the newest version of
the package. Ok, most of the time I use dselect, but sometimes one has to
do thing 'by hand' and in those cases it would be really convenient to
just be able to guess that joe is an editor and therefore belongs in the
'editors' section.

Remco