Re: egcs libg++

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > Hi,

> > > Sorry, I did mean libstdc++. (It's part of the libg++ package i think?)
> >
> > nope
> >
> > libstdc++ now is included into egcs tarball.
> > Old GNU C++ library is removed and not supported.
>
> I know that, but Galen's .deb does not contain the libstdc++ from egcs,
> and we don't have an egcs libg++ shared lib in the packaging system, ie
> it's totally usless currently.

well, we don't have egcs either. Nevertheless i've installed
egcs in local dir and it works without problmes.

> I don't think I have enough disk space to actually compile egcs and it's
> libstdc++ as well as the new libc6 from source.

AFAIK, i have to have 200+ meg to compile glibc.
egcs compilation takes < 100 (and that amount i can afford)

> > they coexist on my system quite well
> > (i'm having old libstdc++ but recent egcs c++/gcc etc).
>
> Sorry, I ment to have the egcs libstc++ and gcc libstc++ co-exist, both
> sets of headers and both sets of shared libs. The shared libs I can see,
> but how about the headers?

sorry, i mislead you. Old libstdc++ means not from recent
egcs, but from a bit old snapshot (something around
libg++ 2.8.0b6), not 2.7.2 version.
Still i have libstdc++2.7.2.so and libstdc++2.8.0.so installed. They
coexist quite nicely

> I really want to try egcs, it seems to have many many many C++ bug fixes,
> gcc 2.7.2 is pretty bad..

yep

OK