Re: egcs libg++

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:
> >
> > > there is NO libg++ in egcs, only libstdc++
> > > AFAIK, noone in egcs team is working on libg++
> >
> > Sorry, I did mean libstdc++. (It's part of the libg++ package i think?)
>
> nope
>
> libstdc++ now is included into egcs tarball.
> Old GNU C++ library is removed and not supported.

I know that, but Galen's .deb does not contain the libstdc++ from egcs,
and we don't have an egcs libg++ shared lib in the packaging system, ie
it's totally usless currently.

I don't think I have enough disk space to actually compile egcs and it's
libstdc++ as well as the new libc6 from source.

> > > Which STL? egcs comes with SGI STL as part of libstdc++.
> >
> > The STL with the libstdc++ that is in hamm right now (libg++272-dev). It
> > will not work with egcs (ie it's been broken to work with gcc)
>
> well, STL in 2.7.2 probably can work with egcs -
> all stuff is in headers after all. But I/O is definitely
> binary incompatible.

No, egcs won't even compile function.h from 2.7.2, it's been hacked badly
to work in gcc 2.7.2.

> well, AFAIK libio stuff in glibc 2.0.5c and
> in egcs was made binary compatible. Probably
> if you're not egcs user there is too small gain
> to compile 2.0.5c. I cannot compile it myself due to
> lack of disk space ;(

I doubt I have space either..

> btw, also you have to patch one glibc 2.0.5c header.
> I can forward patch to you
>
> > And can something be done to allow the egcs and gcc libstdc to co-exist?
>
> they coexist on my system quite well
> (i'm having old libstdc++ but recent egcs c++/gcc etc).

Sorry, I ment to have the egcs libstc++ and gcc libstc++ co-exist, both
sets of headers and both sets of shared libs. The shared libs I can see,
but how about the headers?

I really want to try egcs, it seems to have many many many C++ bug fixes,
gcc 2.7.2 is pretty bad..

Jason