Re: egcs libg++

Hi,

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:
>
> > there is NO libg++ in egcs, only libstdc++
> > AFAIK, noone in egcs team is working on libg++
>
> Sorry, I did mean libstdc++. (It's part of the libg++ package i think?)

nope

libstdc++ now is included into egcs tarball.
Old GNU C++ library is removed and not supported.

egcs is all what you have to install.

> > Which STL? egcs comes with SGI STL as part of libstdc++.
>
> The STL with the libstdc++ that is in hamm right now (libg++272-dev). It
> will not work with egcs (ie it's been broken to work with gcc)

well, STL in 2.7.2 probably can work with egcs -
all stuff is in headers after all. But I/O is definitely
binary incompatible.

> > > So, what can be done about having two libg++-dev's installed? One with a
> > > hacked stl for gcc and one with a normal one for egcs.
> >
> > well, righnt now it's impossible to install libstdc++ from
> > latest egcs - it requires libc2.0.5c while
> > there is only 2.0.4 in unstable. If you're
>
> When are we going to see a more recent glib upgrade? Ie there are some
> problems with the one in hamm, it would be nice to know if they are
> resolved already before bothering the glib ppl.

well, AFAIK libio stuff in glibc 2.0.5c and
in egcs was made binary compatible. Probably
if you're not egcs user there is too small gain
to compile 2.0.5c. I cannot compile it myself due to
lack of disk space ;(

btw, also you have to patch one glibc 2.0.5c header.
I can forward patch to you

> And can something be done to allow the egcs and gcc libstdc to co-exist?

they coexist on my system quite well
(i'm having old libstdc++ but recent egcs c++/gcc etc).

OK