dpkg: half-installed packages

I'm building the hamm base system. I want to save space by removing
/usr/doc/ and  /usr/man for all packages in the base system.

I remeber some discussion about half-installed packages, but I'm not
shure whether this matches my case.

I need a way to tell dpkg that a package it is installed, so that dpkg
knows about the installed files. On the other hand dpkg should replace
this package with the complete package, even if the versions are the
same.

Is anything like this implemented ?

	Sven
--