Re: Placement of console device for `virtual-dev' package

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:

> The package copies /dev to a ramdisk and mounts this over the top of
> the normal /dev in an rc.boot script.  It also adds an entry to
> /etc/fstab for the ramdisk so that umount can unmount it cleanly when
> the machine is shut down.
>
> Unfortunately, when init runs the shut-down rc script, it opens
> /dev/console and passes this as stdin/out/err to the script, and this
> prevents umount from unmounting /dev.
>
> - I can put /dev/console elsewhere (say /etc/console) and symlink it to
>   /dev/console.  This solves the problem, and /dev unmounts cleanly.
>   I'm not sure where I can place this device, though, in such a way
>   that it's fsstnd compliant, and guaranteed to be on the root
>   filesystem.  /etc/console is not ideal, I suspect.  Any ideas?

I wouldn't like this solution.  I would prefer to keep all special
files in /dev.  Longer term I would like Debian to be able to mount
root read-only with the no nodev option.

> Another minor issue: the package name currently ends in `-dev', but it
> isn't a library support package like the other `-dev's!  Can you think
> of a better name for this package?

Definitely don't use the current name.  How about just spelling it
out: -device.

--
Jean Pierre