Shrinking the "base" section

As I could not find something about the "base" section in the manuals
(though I'm quite convinced I already saw something on that), I raise
this question, wich maybe concerns only a few packages:

When a package has been but into the "base" section because it
contains among others some specific files which are needed in "base",
and the amount of files in this package which are not needed in base
would justify to throw them out of base, what should be done ?

 More specifically, I guess such a package (namely 'kbd', which I
happen to maintain) should be splitted to spare some space on the
install boot-floppies.
 Does such a point need discussion on debian-devel ?
 If it is done, is there some policy on how to package that, and how
to name those packages ?  [I remember there was once both "perl" and
"perl-base", but don't know the reason for this split, neither for it
not to be here any more]  Should the part in "base" conflict with the
rest, which would stay as it is, except for the section-change, or
should the rest depend on the part in base ?

Sorry if it has already been discussed, but I thought this would have
to be clarified before I do things that might "break the policy"

--
Yann Dirson  <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>        | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email: <ydirson@a2points.com>        |     support Debian GNU/Linux:
http://www.a2points.com/homepage/3475232 |