Re: I intend to stand for the project leadership

>  Do you consider it troublesome to answer questions put to you?
>
>  You intend, as you say, to come forward as a project leader; well, suppose
>  I were to take hold of you as you were about to ascend the platform,
>  and were to ask you: "Ian, if you were in a battle, in whose army
>  would you rather participate, in a company with a wise general, or with
>  a foolish one? And if you were ill, would you rather have as a wise
>  physician, or an an ignorant one? It should easy to answer.

Was this piece of prosa intended for for debian-devel or
shakespear-discussion? For it seems to me, thou talkest
rather strangely.

I think important qualities for a debian leader are

  - "Getting" the free software ideal.
  - Having support of a large majority of the debian developpers.
  - Being able to make well-informed desicions about what
    routes debian should follow.

In neighter of those points, I see any importance whatsoever in
having had good teachers, having administered many companies or
whatever. Please, understand that there is a difference between
companies and debian: with companies, it's all about competition,
trying to pay your employees as little as possible while making
them still feel happy about their work. None of the skills involved
in doing that have any value when you are a leader of Debian.

>  And yet, when you declare that you want to be the Debian Director, and
>  you are going to attend to manage and restructure an organization
>  would it be right to ask if you are superior programmer, or if you are
>  inferior one? No, for this would seem ridiculous. Instead, we
>  should inquire about your management skills: what is your education,
>  who were your teachers, and what companies you have administered.
>  I should suppose that you will be able to answer questions of this sort.
>
>  Tell us then, what are your qualifications as an administrator. For if it
>  turns out that you are only a good programmer that would not be an
>  advantage.

> I have no more to say.

OK, that's good. I don't think you "get" the free software ideal,
if you want our leader to be somebody with lots of expericene
with administring companies. And I don't think people who don't "get"
the free software ideal should be very vocal on any debian discussion list.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj