Re: debian linux

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Thomas Leo Marquardt wrote:

Hi, I see you go to the UofO.. say hi to Eugene for me:-)

> If I were to install debian do you think I might feel better about linux?

Well, linux is linux is linux, at heart, and if you really don't like it,
a particular distribution probably won't change your ideas much.  On the
other hand, I *really* like Debian...I think it's great.

> I do appreciate the fact that you are an organization, and think this
> alone may make me feel better.  But the real problem that I am having is a
> lack of information on how to configure the system to work efficiently.

Well..  what sort of information?  I could recommend some good books..
The howto's can be a good source of information.  I guess I need some more
input here in order to point you in the right direction.  You want a
prettier GUI?  More efficient OS in terms of speed?  Configured to do
simple tasks automatically?

> So, should I switch to debian, and if so what is the easiest way to do so,
> seeing how I currently run redhat 4.2.

Take a good look at the web page, and... decide for yourself - that's the
'linux way':-)  If you want, I could mail you my CD's, given that you
aren't too far away, if you don't mind returning them either to myself, or
my parents who live in Eugene.  If you have a fast net connection, the FTP
install is probably even easier.  I would recommend a new intstall, and
maybe tarring up the important bits and pieces of your current install,
and replacing them one by one...

[by the way, this is probably better suited to debian-user]

Good luck,

David Welton                                     http://www.efn.org/~davidw
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
#what's this? see http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/