debian linux

I quite recently installed Redhat 4.2 on my laptop.  This installation was
by ftp, it was not easy, and I am not thrilled to death with this
particular distribution.

If I were to install debian do you think I might feel better about linux?
I do appreciate the fact that you are an organization, and think this
alone may make me feel better.  But the real problem that I am having is a
lack of information on how to configure the system to work efficiently.

So, should I switch to debian, and if so what is the easiest way to do so,
seeing how I currently run redhat 4.2.

Thank you for your time.

Thomas Marquardt
P.O. Box 3482