Re: Kernel patches and kernel-package 3.40

Hi,
>>"Nikita" == Nikita Schmidt <cetus@snowball.ucd.ie> writes:

Nikita> First, the package file names for architecture specific
Nikita> patches, headers etc. look as if they were built from a single
Nikita> source:

	Ulp.

>> kernel-patch-<version>_<version>_i386.deb ; i386 specific patches,
>> kernel-patch-<version>_<version>_sparc.deb ; sparc specific patches
>> kernel-patch-<version>_<version>_m68k.deb ; m68k specific patches

Nikita> I mean that there is no standard way to guess the source
Nikita> package name from a binary package name (unless all binaries
Nikita> are built from the same source package).  Is the naming of
Nikita> each architecture-specific kernel-patch source package left to
Nikita> the discretion of its maintainer or should a policy decision
Nikita> be made?

	I am nuetral about this. However, I should point out that the
 only valid way of determining the source package of *any* .deb
 package is to look at the Source field in the .deb file (dpkg
 -I). This could be made policy for the sake of standardization, but I
 prefer the maintainers choose a name themselves.

Nikita> Second, I suppose the second <version> in the package name
Nikita> does not have to be related to the first one (the kernel
Nikita> version) like it is with the kernel-source package, right?

	Right.

Nikita> It's just an upstream version and Debian revision of the patch
Nikita> itself, so it will look like kernel-patch-2.0.30_0.2-2_alpha.deb
Nikita> for alpha-patches-2.0.30-0.2.

Nikita> Third,
>> The kernel-patch versions all depend on the generic source
>> kernel-source-<version>_<version>_all.deb, and all unpack into
>> /usr/src/kernel-patches/<architecture>/patch_<version>

Nikita> Why should they?  The idea of kernel-package is to make it
Nikita> possible to build any kernel from the original sources.  I
Nikita> don't see any reason why patches can only be applied to a
Nikita> debianised source.  What if a port maintainer wants to issue
Nikita> patches for a kernel version that does not have the
Nikita> corresponding kernel-source package?

	You are right, in a sense. But patches need depend on a
 particular kernel version. I see no way of doing that unless they
 depend on the kernel-source package. Comments?

Nikita> Fourth, currently the kernel-source packages contain patched
Nikita> sources rather than original ones.  Should it be reported as
Nikita> bug now?

	Well, right now this proposal has no real status, it is only a
 proposal by a few Developers. No bugs should be reported unless this
 gains wider acceptance and maybe gets into the policy
 document. Proposing it here is merely the first step.

	manoj

--
 "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad
 training." Anna Freud Well, sometimes, anyway. Mark Brader,