Re: Creation of typical installations...

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> David Engel wrote:
> > Wouldn't the best way to do this be to add a new field to the control
> > file which listed the groups the package belonged to?
>
> But then we would have to rebuild all packages in the groups before 2.0 is
> released.

I would suggest that the best way to do this is with the status file.
Create several status files, with the correct packages selected for
installation, for each of the "installation catagories". During the
installation process, allow the installer to select one. Copy the
appropriate status file to /target/... . On the reboot, the installation
script would, at some point, run the "access" portion of dselect, update
the available file, and then simply run dpkg -iGROEB. The installer will
still have to answer the "configuration" questions, but is releaved of
ever having to look at the "ugly" parts of dselect.

Luck,

Dwarf