Re: RPM (Was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

> 	On the other hand, maybe it is time to revive talk about a
>  configration variable databse/snapshot (the last time this
>  degenerated into grandiose plans for a be all admintool, which will
>  take time because of the scope).

Rather than going over the top again, how about adding one extra maintainer script (initially optional) called something like `config' that, if present, gets run before the package gets unpacked, that is allowed to ask the user questions, and saves the answers somewhere that the other scripts can get at later.

The intent being that at some point, we could think about making the config script be the only one that is allowed to be interactive, and also look at transfering responses from one machine to another for a non-interactive install.

It would probably be a good idea to provide some set/get method so that the config script does not need to worry about how the values get stored.

Cheers, Phil.