Re: RPM (Was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

On 24 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>"Enrique" == Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es> writes:
>
> Enrique> That's the point. We use interactive scripts to configure the
> Enrique> packages as soon as possible. RH uses non-interactive
> Enrique> scripts, installs every package in a default (perhaps
> Enrique> unusable) state and the sysadmin has to configure them after
> Enrique> finishing the installation.
>
> Enrique> Their method allows unattended intallations/upgrades, but the
> Enrique> services may be down until the whole intallation/upgrade is
> Enrique> finished and you reconfigure them to suit your needs. Our
> Enrique> method doesn't allow unattended installations/ upgrades, but
> Enrique> the services are down only a few seconds. Right?
>
> 	Well, there is an additional point here, that is, the scripts
>  also provide hand holding and are easier to use (I am thinking
>  sendmailconfig).
>
> 	sendmailconfig asks a bunch of questions which are intelligible
>  to the novice; and then edits the m4 file as needed, then creates
>  sendmail.cf, runs aliases, etc. I won't even consider manually
>  editing sendmail.cf again. (or having novices faced with hacking up a
>  sendmail.mc, even).
>
> 	 And there are other issues; locking fies, restarting daemons,
>  etc. The maintainer scripts make configuring a UNIX box look easy.
>
> 	I used to manage several dozen university UNIX machines for
>  the univ of mass. Configuring the machines was time consuming, and
>  there were more possibilities of errors doing things on the fly.
>
> 	Are trying to make Debian for wizards only?
>
> 	The alternative is to provide the helpful scripts and have the
>  maintainer sit and configure the machine, package by package, hoping
>  the order is right, and hoping that nothing is forgotten, while the
>  machine is crashing around their ankles. Faugh. And no time is saved,
>  anyway, if thos scripts have to be run by hand (on a potentially
>  broken system, to boot).

Again that's another good point why our system is better than RedHat's.

> Enrique> So there's no good in telling half the story ("See? RH
> Enrique> scripts are not interactive") if one doesn't think about the
> Enrique> pros and cons.
>
> 	Precisely. I think you dismiss what the maintainer scripts do
>  too easily.

Hey, not me! :-) I just said that we *can* have non-interactive scripts
_if_we_want_'em_. But we (Me too! ;-)) don't want them, do we?
We have a better method. It can be enhanced, but it is really better
than the non-interactive thingie.

> 	Manoj
> ObFUD: I have been on an Ultrix Box with the mount failed, and
>  no editor working; and having to fix rc.local using cat and
>  grep. Because it installed the library kit in a broken state. Ultrix
>  too asked all questions up front.
>
> ps. Pretty good FUD, eh?

Yep, sure.
--