Re: emacs20

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:

> > There are rumours that Erik Naggum will realease an *unofficial*
> > 19.35, something like Emacs 20, but *without* MULE.
>
> I can't follow all discussion about emacs20, but we really
> want Emacs 20 *with* MULE. Without MULE support, we can't use
> Japanese text.

No we don't; what we want is emacs with some kind of international
character set support that isn't anything to do with MULE (a unicode
version, perhaps). By all accounts MULE is a very badly designed system.

In any case, even if you accept the need for MULE for those languages such
as Japanese, for which a single 8-bit character set is not sufficient,
that's not a good reason to inflict it on the rest of us, at least not
until it runs at a sensible speed.