Re: Re^2: RPM (Was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

On 23 Sep 1997, Marco Budde wrote:

> We shouldn't use RPM, because it produces a lot of problems. For example a
> lot of users reported problems to install a Redhat package on an SuSE
> system.
> These distributions use the same package system, but not the same
> directory structure and the same package names. If a user downloads a DEB
> package, he could be sure, that this package will work with the Debian
> distribution.

Yes; and if we made everything identical to Red Hat so they were entirely
compatible, then what would be the point in having a separate distribution
at all?

(Another compatibility problem is with dependencies and conflicts etc)

We need good support for installing applications as RPMs, but alien gives
us that (possibly not as well as would be ideal, I don't know). Having the
_system_ come in RPM packages has no advantages I can see, except possibly
better quality software, but I personally don't believe that to be true.