Re: emacs20

eichin@cygnus.com (Mark Eichin) writes:

> Once I've got X 3.3-6 uploaded, I'm going to take a shot at packaging
> emacs 20.1, which just came out.  Since emacs 20 is a beta (like emacs
> 19 was before about 19.20 or so) people will likely want them to
> coexist, at least for a while.

Since Emacs-20.x has become an even more bloated monster with the
inclusion of the MULE stuff i'd opt for keeping an Emacs19 version if
possible.  The inclusion of the MULE stuff is rather annoying since it
is very much redundant for lots of people and because there is
obviously no compile time option included for building a non-MULE
Emacs.  It's a pity that Emacs follows XEmacs in regard of featurism
and bloat. :-(

Hopefully there will be an Emacs-19.35 without the MULE bundle but
including all the rest of the fine new features of Emacs-20.x.  Eric
Naggum is working on such a beast.  Please check out his Emacs pages
at "http://www.naggum.no/emacs/"; for more information about this
project.
                                 Cheers, P. *8^)
--