Re: RPM (Was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

In article <[🔎] m0xDYsU-00IdTXC@golem.pixar.com> you wrote:

: As long as the majority of people still think dpkg/dselect are 150%
: superior, we'll stick with them. Is that how everyone feels?

dpkg is superior in some ways (no other distribution has a real
manager for all packages installed which can be used in an intelligent
way to manager packages on the system) but we are
loosing ground due to flaws in the system that should have been fixed a
long time ago  (f.e. the delayed configuration catastrophe hitting
everyone especially now with upgrading to hamm).

I have the feeling that the way dpkg is programmed makes it not
maintainable. Also it is full of unnecessary complicated schemes
which make it difficult to understand and develop further. This also
leads to frequent problems with maintainers understanding what
dpkg does and consequently they produce buggy packages (the Debian
Project is really famous for unresolved or screwed up dependencies that a
normal mortal Linux hacker cannot understand)

Unecessary complexities include predependencies, mind boggling multiple
kinds of dependencies, complex invocation of maintainer scripts.

Switching to RPM and putting the necessary additional functionality
into it would get rid of the whole baggage we have to carry around now.
Plus it would get us out of the corner we have backed into and help us
to rejoin the mainstrem linux hackers. Potentially this will result in
more maintainers and thus a better distribution. RedHat is quite easy
to compete with I would think. I have the impression that chaos is
reigning in the RPM world. Our structure would help bring stability into
that situation.