Re: upgrade path

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>	If you think that is not enough, do you (and I don't mean to
> single out Daniel, I mean anybody on the list that has expressed
> dismay over our archive policy) want to donate equipment to enable us
> to maintain an Archive server? We'll be happy to keep versions as old
> as you wish, if we get the machine, disk space, and net connections
> to enable us to do so.

Hmm... I've been wondering about this. Wouldn't it be enough to add a
(cheap, slow) CD-ROM drive to ftp.debian.org (or whereever), put a copy of
the last CD-ROM distribution of the old release in it, and mount the CD-ROM
under the public FTP directory?

Since the old releases probably wouldn't be accessed much, they shouldn't
create much load on the machine nor much additional network traffic. And
CD-ROM drives don't cost much, especially since even a 2x speed drive would
be fast enough...

I don't have a spare CD-ROM drive to donate, but even if I did, mailing it
from Finland to the US in one piece would probably cost more than the drive
is worth...

Just an idea: Would it be a good thing to add a "wanted hardware" list to
the WWW site, with entries like "an old, slow CD-ROM drive (SCSI preferred,
but IDE will do) for keeping archives of previous distributions"? I imagine
quite a few of the users and developers have old hardware lying around that
they don't need...

--
-=- Rjs -=- rjs@spider.compart.fi, rjs@lloke.dna.fi