database of maintainers

Hi,

	The data collected by the ongoing effort to collect maintainer
 information is gathered an kept in a | delimited flat text file,
 which is working quite well, at the moment.

 1) Pros:
   a) It is simple to use (read it in line by line, and split on |
      Multiple report generating scripts can format the data as
      needed, and use subsets of the data.
   b) The databse can be mended using a simple text editor
   c) Adding new maintainer information is simple (append to end of
      file)
  Cons:
   a) The database is not randomly accesible (not a problem until we
      grow a bit?)
   b) Adding new columns (fields) can be tricky; have to modify all
      report scripts
   c) Editing the databse is also tricky (read it all in, modify in
      memory, write it out (can be done one line at a time.
   d) Have to write all search and print routines.

	Using DB_File and friends will make it easier to randomly
 access or modify data, one looses the ability to edit the database;
 still has all the Cons of the current situation.

	If this is going to be a persistent store on all kinds of
 maintainer information, rather than just a source of xearth file
 data, maybe we should move the data to some kind of a ``real'' RDBMS,
 and use SQL to help print out reports.

	The only databases I have used are oracle and (shudder)
 Access, so people have to advise me about the various database
 packages available to us -- postgres95, mysql, msql and
 postgresql(??) seem to be candidates, though I have no idea how they
 stack up against one other.

	Comments? Do we need to go to a RDBMS? If so, which one?

	manoj
--
 "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You." Danny Low
 (dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com)