Re: Once again: libc6 packages compatibility etc...

> > > This would be a much bigger problem with a released distribution.  Since
> > > hamm is still "unstable", only developers and other suckers for punishment
> > > are currently using it.
> >
> > But there are packages whose name doesn't begin with "lib" (for example
> > xlib6, xpm4) so those can't use the newly proposed method.
>
> That's a good point.  It would be nice to have a consistant naming
> mechnanism, though.  Can anybody think of a way around this, or is
> it insurmountable?

Thinking about this a bit more...

To be consistant, the proper name (using the idea above) for "xlib6" would
then be just "x6" (and "libc6" would be just "c6") since the idea was
to remove "lib" from the name as it is redundant.

This still leaves the problem with "xpm4", however.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )