md5checksums and debstd

I like debstd (although I find it hard to figure out what it is going to
do half the time). However someone (Christian Schwarz?) mentioned that
you should build the package after calling debstd as debstd generates the
md5 checksums.

Unfortunately debstd is gzipping a file I don't want gzipped and I can't
see how to automaticaly generate the md5sums file from the debian/tmp
directory. Is there a command to do this - debsums and md5sum don't seem
to have a recurse optionm :-(

It would be nice if debian/docs could be expanded so you could do:
#source          destination (relative to /usr/doc/pkg)  options
egs/*	         examples				 gzip
README.1st       README.gz
NEWS             ./Changelog
HELP.gz          Setup
Other            .
Scripts          /usr/lib/$(pkg)

This is a complex example showing that quite an "intelligent" debstd
might be useful. The "options" column could dissapear, but I couln't
think of a nice way to specify that all the example files should be
gzipped (if they aren't already).  The next two lines are fairly obvious
- note the automatic gzipping required of README.1st (and unzipping of
HELP.gz). Changelog _would_ be compressed as per policy (although for
most cases an explicit name would override policy).

Adrian
--
.signature in post