Is this a bug?

I just spent 4 hours trying to figure out why I couldn't unpack
some sources I made on an unstable system to do a build.  I kept
getting this:

tia:~/tia/jdk1.1$ dpkg-source -x jdk1.1_1.1.3.v2-1.dsc
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("jim") at
/usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 16.
dpkg-source: extracting jdk1.1 in jdk1.1-1.1.3.v2
dpkg-source: failure: remove patch backup file jdk1.1-1.1.3.v2/update-alternati
ves-jdk1.1.dpkg-orig: No such file or directory

It turns out the problem is caused because there is a
different 'patch' in unstable than there is in 'stable'.

(unfortunately, I ended up half-upgrading my stable server
system to a libc6 system trying to figure this out)

I think this is a fairly serious problem.  It makes sense
when you think about it - but it didn't come to me right
away.

This really should be fixed in our next stable release.  Should
I file a bug against patch?  or ftp.debian.org?  or both?

I'm going to be gone for a few days - so I won't be able to
file a bug right away.  Maybe somebody else would.

Cheers,

 - Jim